large file support

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Sat Oct 21 16:10:09 EDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 01:03:34PM +0200, Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> fred at balzac.scd.ucar.edu (Fred Clare) writes:
>
> The reason is probably that Python strings store their length as an int,
> And that's probably signed 32bit on your SGI as well. The implementation
> of read() in 1.5.2 doesn't check the size of the file properly against

Good point. Python 1.5.2. *did* have some issues here, some of which have
been fixed for Python 2.0, such that overflowing the length variable will
raise an OverflowError or promote the PyInt to a PyLong so no overflow will
occur. I don't know whihc is done for this. . Make sure that you are running
2.0 first.

Otherwise, I don't really know the status of largefile support on SGI's
either.

Trent

--
Trent Mick