C's syntax (was Re: Python Formatted C Converter (PfCC))

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Oct 24 12:10:14 EDT 2000

Boris Borcic wrote:

> To me this sounds like a lawyer's defense of legal language : it
> certainly
> *fails to convince* that it is *not* the case that a relatively opaque
> language
> gets promoted precisely for the benefit of permitting such ways of
> argumentation ; e.g. putting the load of responsibility for error
> on the shoulders of the ignorant, while clearing the experts for the
> responsibility of creating the occasions of error.

The reason why jargon is used in _any_ profession is because of a need
for precise terms with precise meanings which simply do not exist in
non-technical language.  A brief written in plain English would be just
as tortured and complex as a brief written in "legalese," because there
are lots of loopholes that must be covered and, plain language or not,
it wouldn't be straightforward reading to the layman.

/  \ Nobody's waited longer than me / To come clean
\__/ Jaki Graham
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/
 A mathematics reference.