Python for Mac OS X?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 11 22:48:07 EDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Robert Biggs wrote:

> Where might I find a version of Python that would work on the recently
> released Mac OS X Public Beta? It's Apple's new OS based on BSD.

The latest 2.0c1 release of Python will build "out-of-the-box" on
Darwin or OSX with either the Darwin or Apple development tools.
Use:
 ./configure --with-dyld --with-suffix=.x
 make

then:
 su
 make install

You can get the source from www.pythonlabs.com

As far as I know, no one has yet built a version with support for
Tkinter, pyGtk, WxWindows or any other GUI code. ( We're working
on that next. )

The MacPython build for OS<9 will work in the OS9 environment on
OSX, and will give you both Tkinter and native Mac toolbox support.
( I haven't done any exhaustive testing -- I just installed it and
ran a couple of scripts to see that it [mostly] worked. )

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."