Using more than 7 bit ASCII on windows.

Syver Enstad syver.enstad at sensewave.com
Sat Oct 28 19:23:15 EDT 2000

"Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
news:39FA90D9.7070403 at ActiveState.com...
>  > Is there anyone who uses Pythonwin with a different character set on
>  > Windows? -- Japanese, Chinese, European and so on.

> A few people - and they all have trouble :-(

I read that extended characters should work in the interactive window on the
active state page. But I can't seem to get it to work. Here are some
examples from my interactive window (using python 2.0 with win32all 135 and
the update you mentioned).

(I keep most my kode under the folder: e:/våre dokumenter/kode/ (the 5th
character should be an a with a ring over in case it doesn't display
correctly on your screen.)

>>> os.getcwd()
'E:\\V\345re dokumenter'
>>> os.chdir('/')
>>> os.getcwd()
'E:\\'
>>> os.chdir('våre dokumenter')
Traceback (innermost last):
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'v\303\245re dokumenter'

The line above looks very strange to me as it seems that the a with a ring
over is represented by two characters here, when it was only represented
with one when calling getcwd

>>> os.chdir('v\345re dokumenter')
>>> os.getcwd()
'E:\\v\345re dokumenter'

The above is the workaround that gets me were I want.

By the way thanks to Mark Hammond for fixing the event handling in win32com,
works like a dream.