MS Windows Clipboard

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Oct 26 19:13:20 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8ta16b01n0d at news2.newsguy.com...
> "Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote in message

We are discussing a new optional param for the Win32 clipboard
functions that would specify the type of the returned data.

I proposed a simple string:
> > What would this param look like - maybe a simple string
> > "string", "unicode", "handle", with None or "" == default?

Alex suggested a type object:
> Or maybe type(""), type(u""), type(PyHandle)...?

Your idea sounds more "correct", but also more verbose and less
"handy"

OTOH, using the types module makes it better:

  GetClipboardText(..., types.UnicodeType)

I would probably use types.IntType for a handle, as we may not be able
to provide automatic handle cleanup.  I'm afraid I can't recall the
exact semantics, and haven't the time to look.

Any votes on this?  Should we go for:

  GetClipboardText(..., types.UnicodeType)
or
  GetClipboardText(..., "unicode")

?

Mark.