I want to impress the boss.

chrisgarland at i-rocket.net chrisgarland at i-rocket.net
Mon Oct 16 00:15:05 EDT 2000

I'm new to Python and am trying to get my company to adopt it as
a 'quick and dirty' glue tool.  I would like to assemble a
demonstration for my boss that would undeniably convince him.  What I'd
like to do is
get Python to:
- Ask the user what project they'd like updated.
- Open Visual Source Safe (VSS) and move the projects files into a
newly created directory.
- Run and record a checksum over every file in the directory.
- Open the project's Word document and have the appropriate table
update the checksums.

I bought a copy of "Python Programming on Win32" which has helped speed
me along but I still need help.
- Where could I find a full set of commands that I can issue to Word
from Python?
- Is there a COM interface to VSS? or can I issue 'DOS prompt' like
commands to VSS to get it to release its files to me.

Thanks, ANY help would be helpful.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.