Howto find same files?

gregoire.favre at ima.unil.ch gregoire.favre at ima.unil.ch
Sat Oct 28 17:16:14 EDT 2000

Hello,

two friends tell me that I should go to python to solve my problem:
I have fetched some files (quite a lots) that I have put in /data (a
lots of patchxxx.{gz,bz2} of lots of things, lots of midi files grabbed
from newsgroups using newsfetch, some mp3,... too much files that I
have put in some dirs (just for having one idea, >find /data|wc -l gives
me 128291... that's too much for hand...).

What I want to do is to find the files that are the same, a good start
could be the files which have same name and same size, better would be
to find files that are same size (I have for examples a lot of 1.mid...)
and then do a kind of diff between then and if there are the same, rm
the copies).

I have read half of the python tutorials and I don't know how to
begin...

Would it be a good idea to create a files which contains the
path,filename,size,md5sum and then working on it?

Has someone another idea or as someone already programmed that?

Thanks you very much,

	Greg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.