tkinter - resizing window problems

Dan Kuchler kuchler at ajubasolutions.com
Thu Oct 19 16:49:38 EDT 2000

gregholmes at my-deja.com wrote:

> I have a tkinter window with three frames packed into it vertically.
>
> The top frame holds a menubar.  The bottom frame holds a status or
> message bar.
>
> If I grab the top edge of the window and drag it down, fine.  The
> menubar moves down, the middle frame (scrolled) shrinks, the bototm
> frame stays put.
>
> If I grab the bottom edge, however, and drag it up, the status bar is
> no longer in view.
>
> How can I get the "typical" behavior expected of such widgets?

Are you using 'pack' to do your geometry management?

When using pack, I believe the last widget to be packed is the first
one to disappear from the screen when there is not enough room to
display the widget.  When you use 'grid' combinded with weights you
can get much more powerful geometry management (IMHO).

--Dan