PythonWin IDE sucks!

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Fri Oct 27 19:18:43 EDT 2000

Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Quoth Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk>:
>| OK. I give up.
>
>All right!
>
>Haven't read them all, but some followups have made helpful comments
>on your approach.  (Maybe helpful to others, anyway, you look like a
>lost cause.)  I would add, when proposing or requesting something
>here, stifle the impulse to say "otherwise I will have to take my
>marbles and go elsewhere", or "otherwise everyone will use Perl
>instead of Python", or any variation on that theme.  You have no
>idea how comical that is to people who have been using Python for
>lo these many years.
>
>	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

It may sound comical but unfortunately, that's the way
it is.

We develop software for clients, frequently under
strict time constraints.

We are currently on our first project using Python.
This project was all set to be developed with J++ but I
picked up the Python on Win32 book a while ago and
started a bit of a diversion. I eventually pursuaded
the project leader to go for Python. (Although this was
as much to do with J++'s uncertain future as any
advantage of Python's)

Being late isn't an option so when things don't go
well, we just have to work harder to make it up.

If the project isn't judged a success, and Python is
considered the limiting factor (language and/or tools),
then it probably won't get used again - not for client
work, anyway.

I'm quite keen that we use it again.
--
Dale Strickland-Clark