Zope availability (was Re: pythonlabs.com website down -- 2.0c1 still available!)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Oct 12 00:43:29 EDT 2000

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Thomas Weholt wrote:
> > The main Zope homepage was also down for a long time some
> > weeks ago. It doesn't exactly do a good job at marketing Zope as a viable
> > platform. Could we get some info on how the problem occurred so we can avoid
> > it?
>
> We sometimes use zope.org as a bit of petri dish. For example,
> during the time you refered to above, we used zope.org
> to test (and, as it turned out, debug) a new release of ZEO.
> Maybe we shouldn't use zope.org this way, but it sure is convenient
> having a site that gets hit hard to try new software out on. :)

My opinion is that you (and we, by extension) would be better off *NOT*
using zope.org this way, as the various times it has been offline,
though possibly all due to experimentation, have combined to give me a
moderate concern about how suitable Zope might be for "high
availability" applications.  I have not experienced any problems using
it which could not be directly attributed to the fact that it was
running on Win98, but I certainly haven't made the (internal) site a
target for much abuse yet.

Although www.pythonlabs.com was apparently offline only briefly, I was
looking for it at the time.  I have to agree with Thomas' warning that
this kind of thing, while perhaps helping Zope *development*, does not
help Zope marketing.

I'm sure there are many, many of us who would be only too happy to help
beat up on a victimize-me.zope.org site which was explicitly made
available as a target for testing new releases of Zope technology... :-)

--
Peter Hansen