make uninstall

Gerrit Holl gerrit at NOSPAM.nl.linux.org
Tue Oct 31 06:59:39 EST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:32:21 GMT, fritzlein at my-deja.com wrote:
> I (as myself, not root) installed python 2.0b1
> (or something like that) to play with on a Linux
> machine that isn't mine (i.e. I don't know the
> root password, so I can't sail in and kill
> everything).  I'm done playing for now and I want
> to clean up my mess.  I still have the unzipped
> tarball and the makefile and everything it made
> in a temporary directory, but of course the
> install put stuff in /usr/local and I don't know
> where else, and I'd like to get rid of it all.

I don't understand. If you didn't install as root, how
can he have put files in /usr/local? You shouldn't have
writing access there.

> Please forgive such a newbie question, but "make
> uninstall" is the only method I know to get rid
> of a program, that just gives me

Yau can simply remove the different parts with "rm". If it's not
installed as RPM that isn't dangerous anyway.

regards,
Gerrit.