Synchronizing CGI processes?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Oct 12 17:52:20 EDT 2000

In article <qWpF5.29371$oN2.807892 at news20.bellglobal.com>,
Olivier Dagenais <olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM> wrote:

>I am writing a client-server system in Python and the only free
>Python-supporting internet server I can find supports Python as CGI scripts.
>(Incidentally, if you know of any free hosting solutions that would allow me
>to host a server written in Python with say, Medusa please say so!)  The
>multiple independent process nature of CGI is the source of a very puzzling
>synchronization problem:  how on earth can I guarantee synchronization
>between two (or more) concurrent CGI sessions?  (I need to synchronize
>writes to a simple, one-user database... I'm using "Gadfly" for the
>curious...)

Hmmmm....  I'd call this a "locking" problem rather than a
"synchronization" problem.  And you're right: there are few good
cross-platform mechanisms for this.  Here's a question: does your
service permit you to run a stand-alone process?  If so, make that a
socket-based database server.  This would also make your code run
generally faster.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction
listen to weather forecasts and economists?" -- Kelvin Throop III