PythonWin IDE sucks!

Matt mksql at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 27 14:05:45 EDT 2000

In article <798jvs4p780j4m9n2pnddj4cti22gpn9pd at 4ax.com>,
  dale at out-think.NOSPAM.co.uk wrote:
> Matt <mksql at my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >PythonWin is a tool for working with the Python language. The
> >usefulness of the tool has no impact on the usefullness of the
language.

> What nonsense. Of course it does. The usefulness of the language is
> directly linked to how quickly you can churn out working code. The IDE
> is a critical factor in this.

Since using PythonWin is not a requirement to develop Python code, you
can use any editor (as I do), there is no link between PythonWin and
productivity in Python. Would you characterize the Java language as
unusable if you did not care for Sun's development tools? Or C++ as
useless if you experienced problems with Visual Studio?

> >If my understanding is correct, the author of PythonWin has provided
us
> >a very useful editor and debugger for Python on the Windows platform,
> >that currently can be used at no monetary expense. Given that this is
> >not commercial software, and that it is a work inprogress, I would
> >expect some bugs. Personally, I find the price/performance ratio
quite
> >acceptable.

> On the whole, I agree. But if you don't point out poor features, they
> won't get fixed.

Correct. But often, obvious trolling ("sucks!") runs the risk of being
ignored by those with serious goals in mind. If you have a legimate bug
to point it out, make it known in a manner that will get your issue
addressed seriously.

> >> What can I do about it?
> >
> >Learn the language, and if you do not like the PythonWin tool, use
> >another.
>
> If everyone who has, in the past, disliked a feature of Python went
> elsewhere, I suspect the user community would be pretty small right
> now. That isn't the way to improve software.

This is not a Python feature discussion, but a discussion of a tool.
There is a large distinction. To use the logic above, you would condem
a language in wide use on multiple platforms, due to issues on a single
platform.

I use Python regularly, and began by using PythonWin to learn the
language. I now do most of my Python development using another editor,
because the editor is useful for other tasks. Therefore Python
productivity can be attained without using PythonWin, even though I
have found PythonWin to be very useful in some instances.

> Why are you so defensive about this? I'm not attacking you, Python or
> PythonWin. I'm pointing out a problem that I think needs attention.

Since neither Python nor PythonWin is mine to defend, I am merely
criticising your method of criticisim.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.