Zope question: collaborative environments?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 26 22:03:15 EDT 2000

Tom Bryan wrote:

> I plan to search more in the Zope archives and maybe discuss this question
> on one of their myriad of mailing lists or discussion boards, but I was
> hoping that someone might have a quick answer.
>
> I'm a developer, and I'd like to create a combination discussion board,
> bug tracking system, and general collaborative environment.  I was
> thinking of using Zope, but I have never even looked at Zope.  Am I crazy
> even to consider using Zope when we won't have any dedicated staff to
> develop stuff for/in Zope and maintain it?  Is Zope easy enough to use,
> simple enough to maintain, and complete enough as a product that I could
> get something set up with just a couple of weeks of work and then simply
> use it?
>
> Any advice before I waste a lot of time digging into this topic would be
> much appreciated.  (The time frame is very tight.  My boss is planning to
> lend me one of his personal machines to play put on my network at home as
> a zope or sourceforge or ??? server so that I can evaluate it next week.
> He definitely wants something in place in the next few weeks.)
>
> ---Tom

I might, tongue-in-cheek, suggest that you spend your time looking for
a work environment where they don't set deadlines before they understand
the scope of the task.

If you find it, perhaps you'll let us all know.  Good luck with the
collaborative development environment!

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/