URL implications of the recent move...?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Mon Oct 30 15:58:52 EST 2000

[Alex Martelli]
> So what URL[s] should be indicated as "the main
> Python entry point" now that Pythonlabs is (no
> more? or still alive but disjoint from BeOpen?
> its webpage still calls it 'BeOpen Pythonlabs')...?
>
> I was starting to point to
>     http://www.pythonlabs.com
> as an addition to
>     http://www.python.org
> which seemed to be less actively maintained --
> what now, then?

python.org remains the best bet.  It's barely been maintained at all the
last several months, but that's because CNRI didn't let go of it.  CNRI
promised-- at a Python Consortium meeting this summer --to relinquish
control of it, but nothing has come of that yet.  That's still The Plan,
though:  we would *like* to get the python.org content maintained under
source control at SourceForge, and open up its maintenance to the community.
More than one source has offered to host the site then too (Digital
Creations among them), and a hosting move is necessary because python.org
has outgrown the HW resources CNRI devotes to it.

The future of pythonlabs.com is muddier; but even if Guido hadn't moved to
DC, the plan was to keep python.org as the main community site and turn
pythonlabs.com into a resource for hardcore Python developers.

the-more-things-change-etc-ly y'rs  - tim