Pyton on MacOS X is a link away ...

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Sun Oct 8 22:06:51 EDT 2000

I've done about a dozen builds of 2.0b2 trying to find the
"right" way. I haven't tried 1.6 at all. Hey -- It's a BETA
OPERATING SYSTEM -- why are you afraid of using a beta Python
distribution? ;-)

Nothing works right out of the box at the moment (and I'm not
sure that anything even works exactly the same way twice! )

Currently, I'm building 2.0b2 with Tony Lownds patches at:
http://tony.lownds.com/macosx/

( Tony's patches don't seem to fix all of the build problems, but
  it tries to fix some of the broken Next stuff in the Makefile
  that'll make it impossible to 'make install' otherwise. )

configure --with-dyld  --with-suffix=.x ( and maybe or maybe not
  --with-next-framework )

edit Setup to enable shared libraries
but move the  fcntlmodule line to before the *shared* enable.
( to avoid case-blind conflict between FCNTL.py and fcntlmodule.so )
[ test/test_fcntl will still fail unless you add 'darwin1.2' to the
 if test along with the other BSD's  -- otherwise it falls thru to
 the default and tests with the wrong args. ]

adding two more options that don't seem to get set right via the shell:

OTHER_LIBTOOL_OPT="-lcc_dynamic -undefined warning"   make

configure will say that the compiler understands "-OPT:Olimit=0",
but the compiler will complain about it for each file.

configure will figure out that it supports posix threads and
define _POSIX_THREADS in config.h, but since it's already defined
in some system header somewhere, it'll complain about redefinition
unless you comment out the extra one in config.h

The deeper I dig into configure and Makefile.in, the more lost I get!
( The next specific stuff is, if not completely broken, at least
  seriously confusing! )

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."