Installing 2.0 with a 1.5.* version in place

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 09:30:11 EDT 2000

"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" <olczyk at interaccess.com> wrote in message
news:39e16234.203101046 at nntp.interaccess.com...
> Several questions about installing 2.0b2.
> First when will 2.0final be ready?
> If someone says this week, then I am not going to bother
> until final is out (why do it twice in a short span?)

Uh, what about "to contribute to the best of your abilities
to the development process"...?  If you can find a bug, and
submit a bug report to sourceforge, you'll help Python 2.0
final have one bug less...

> Second do I have to unistall 1.5.*, or can I just install 2.0
> over it?

I've installed 1.6 and 2.0b1, then b2, side by side (to help
test the new stuff while still using perhaps-more-solid one).
Don't know if this holds for 1.5.2 and 2.0 as well.

> Third what other "software packages" am I going to have to
> update ( WinPython, IDLE, libraries...).

Anything that doesn't come with Python itself (IDLE does,
at least in the Windows distribution but I believe in the Unix
one as well) will also need to be updated (many old .py
scripts might still work, but they might break; .pyd's will
definitely not work).

Alex