C's syntax (was Re: Python Formatted C Converter (PfCC))

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Mon Oct 30 16:34:37 EST 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Grant Griffin]
> > Just for the record, Backus also played "Mr. McGoo"-- ...
>
> [Alex Martelli]
> > I'll trust you on this.  Like many people with even mild physical
> > disabilities, and like anybody with decent empathy, I have a hard
> > time understanding what's supposed to be fun in sight-impairment.
>
> It's the comedy of misunderstandings.  Mr. Magoo

Now I just _knew_ I had spelled that wrong!  I just couldn't remember
the right way.  (My eyesight is OK, but I think my memory needs new
glasses. <wink>)

> enjoyed grand adventures
> due to acting upon his flawed perceptions of the world (to which everyone
> with a smidgen of introspection can relate, sight-impaired or not).  A
> better question is why Mr. Magoo prospered as long as it did:  his
> predicaments were so shallow that the cartoons rarely raised so much as a
> chuckle.

Yeah, I agree.  Even if one removes one's "politically correct" hat
(which, strangely, seems to disable the funnybone), the show really
wasn't all that funny.  Then again, the last time I saw it, I was so
young that I probably didn't understand any of the satirical overtones
of it--if any.  It just seemed mostly stupid to me.  But Backus was
great as a voice actor: he managed to somehow make Magoo
"entertaining"--if not actually "funny".

> a-blow-to-someone-else's-groin-is-a-laff-riot-by-comparison-ly y'rs  - tim

if-Fatty-Arbuckle-were-politically-correct,-we'd-have-to-call-him
   -"Roscoe*"

=g2
*see http://www.findagrave.com/pictures/2525.html

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com