How can I get a list of all public symbols in Python librararies

Alain Desilets Alain.Desilets at nrc.ca
Tue Oct 31 15:35:20 EST 2000

Erno Kuusela wrote:

>  | In order to build support for dictation of Python code, I need a list of
>  | all the symbols (functions, methods, classes, variables) defined in the
>  | standard Python libraries.
> [...]
>  | Any suggestions on what would be the easiest way to get such a list?
>
> one definition of what's public is what's documented - so you
> could extract the symbols from the docs. the doc sources (tex)
> would be quite easy to scan for these.

Thanks for that hint. Is there a specification of the tex format somewhere as
it is used by Python for documentation?

> the other obvious way would be to use the python introspection
> features to look for them. maybe you could use the pyclbr module,
> which provides class browser support. also worth looking
> at may be inspect and htmldoc by ka-ping yee, you can
> find those at <URL:http://www.lfw.org/python/> (bottom of page).

While we are on this topic, what's the most commonly used HTML document
generator? I have been using pythondoc but it seems to be an orphan project and
it is a bit unstable. Does htmldoc supersede pythondoc?

--
Alain Désilets

Research Officer
National Research Council Canada
Institute for Information Technology

Agent de recherche
Conseil national de recherche Canada
Institut de technologies de l'information

email/courriel: alain.desilets at iit.nrc.ca