PythonWin IDE sucks!

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri Oct 27 19:43:47 EDT 2000

[Dale Strickland-Clark]
> OK. I give up.
>
> This newsgroup has to get the prize for some of the fragile, sensitive
> egos on the net.

[Patrick Phalen]
> Really? I've been following it closely for over four years and have
> somehow never noticed that.

He's probably referring to me, Patrick:  I was offended by his post, feel
threatened by your response, and loathe my weakness for hitting the "Reply"
button *almost* as much as I despise my life.

But be that as it may, Dale's got a real problem.  The interactive module
edit<->run cycle under Python IDEs really is tricky, sometimes requiring
non-trivial knowledge of how sys.modules is used & managed internally in
order to avoid picking up stale definitions.

Guido has pronounced kindly about ideas to, e.g., make IDLE fire up a new
process each time, which avoids all module caching surprises, and
effectively simulates the useful parts of the by-hand quit-and-restart
procedure some people use today.

I generally write a little driver program that reloads the world and fires
off my test cases from scratch, and run that without quit-and-restart.

Whatever, if you're expecting it to work by magic, you'll be disappointed
today.

or-if-not-you-maybe-dale<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim