Server-client-development / Data-extraction without databaseaccess

Thomas Weholt thomas at cintra.no
Fri Oct 20 09:20:04 EDT 2000

Hi,

I got a PostgreSQL server going. I use a platform independant client
to store data in pickled files which is later imported into the
database. The problem arises when platforms without python
postgresql-driver, namely Windows ( haven't found any
postgresql-module so far ), wants to extract data from the database
running on a Linux-box.

I'm going to build a Web-interface, but being able to use a
commandline or a GUI on Windows would be nice too. (
<implicit_linux_praise>At least for the poor fools still using ehem
.. that os </implicit_linux_praise> ;-> )

So I thought of making a threaded server that could accept simple
queries, actually keywords to look for and simple commands for data
maintainence, and return some form of data the client could use. One
solution would be to serve xml-data to the client and avoid the entire
binary problem. But xml would benefit greatly from compression and
sending binary files are more difficult according the Socket HowTo.

If anybody could give hints, code or tips on how to send data, binary
or plain text of arbitary size, between a multi-threaded server and a
plain python client, I'd be a very happy man.

Thanks