Where do I find the "crypt" module?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon Oct 16 18:22:46 EDT 2000

John Draper wrote:
> When we installed our Python system on our server,   we ran the CVS
> depository to get all of the modules.    But in looking at our Python
> distributed files,   I don't see the module anywhere on our system.

the FAQ has the answer:
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html#4.81

> Can anyone please help me?   I had no idea that none of the librarys would
> be installed when we installed the system.

reading the README file also helps, of course:

    "Configuring additional built-in modules
    ---------------------------------------

    You can configure the interpreter to contain fewer or more built-in
    modules by editing the Modules/Setup file.  This file is initially
    copied (when the toplevel Makefile makes Modules/Makefile for the
    first time) from Setup.in; if it does not exist yet, make a copy
    yourself.  Never edit Setup.in -- always edit Setup.  Read the
    comments in the file for information on what kind of edits are
    allowed.  When you have edited Setup, Makefile and config.c in the
    Modules directory, the interpreter will automatically be rebuilt the
    next time you run make in the toplevel directory.  (When working
    inside the Modules directory, use "make Makefile; make".)

    The default collection of modules should build on any Unix system, but
    many optional modules should work on all modern Unices (e.g. try dbm,
    nis, termios, timing, syslog, curses, new, soundex, parser).

</F>