SMTP receive as well as send

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Sat Oct 14 20:12:59 EDT 2000

In article <39e8ce9c at news.server.worldonline.co.uk>, "Phil Harris"
<phil.harris at zope.co.uk> wrote:

> I may be talking out of the hole where the sun don't shine here, so
> someone
> correct me if I'm wrong, but:
>
> SMTP is only for sending, isn't it?
> POP3 is only for receiving, isn't it?

Yes, but...

Some POP3 servers can be induced to act as if they handled the sending
side (recent qpopper versions from Qualcomm, for example).  I say "as if
they handled" because they seem to accept the message, and pass it along
to the SMTP server for action (and the version we have installed leaves
a stray file behind per message).  At least, the log entries are made by
the SMTP server.

On the Mac version of Eudora, I don't see a way to configure this, even
with the esoteric settings plugin installed.  It's probably available in
one of the <blah blah> things.

On the Windows version, one edits a configuration file to turn this on.
I've messed with it in the Windows version (to be sure we could support
it...it works but is a bit of a pain).

I don't see a setting for it in Mac Outlook Express.

   --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com