join()

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 9 20:01:47 EDT 2000

[Thomas Wouters]

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 03:07:43PM +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:
> > echuck at mindspring.com wrote:

> > > In Python 2.0, I was surprised to see join() had become a method of
> > > string.  I "naturally" expected it to be a method of list.

> > Quite a lot of people screamed blue murder about this at the time,
> > and were ignored.  Getting it changed now seems to be impossible.

> Now now, that's not very nice.  I'm certain I saw a lot of responses to
> the threads about "".join() that tried to explain the choice.

Behind each choice, good or bad, there is an explanation. :-(

> I can imagine that some postings were 'ignored', given the sheer volume,
> but it's not like *all* complaints were ignored.

Explaining a choice does not make it good, and responding with an
explanation, without otherwise listening, is still a way to "ignore"
those who cannot bear that choice.  I like Python a great deal so, short
of a better reason, I only guess that some thought that adding a bit of
intrinsic ugliness would make it more widespread and wi[l]dely popular! :-)