Python and GUI in soft real-time systems?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Oct 9 05:32:41 EDT 2000

In article <1n5E5.786$YU1.80422 at newsc.telia.net>,
Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
>mdeaver wrote:
>> So, is Python - it's interpreter and one of the
>> available GUIs - worth considering for this type
>> of application?
>
>Definitely.  What you're describing isn't too far from stuff
>we've been doing (industrial image processing/production
>systems based on Tkinter), and performance shouldn't be
>much of a problem.
>
>Contact me directly if you want more details.
>
></F>

Fredrik's right.  Well, he essentially always is, but
perhaps you don't know that yet.

In any case, concern about an interpreted GUI binding
is largely misplaced, although many people share it
with you.  Tkinter is the slowest of the Python GUI
bindings for most common uses, and yet, as Fredrik
writes, it absolutely is able to handle the kinds of
requirements you describe (five windows open simultan-
eously, events every few seconds, modest animation,
sub-second response, ...).  You're going to like your
Python-based GUI career.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net