[Python-Dev] Re: Compiling python 2.0

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Fri Oct 20 16:54:59 EDT 2000

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 10:21:18PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> As for the other error, that's really an error :(

> ../libpython2.0.a(fileobject.o): In function portable_fseek':

> /usr/home/thomas/Python-2.0/Objects/fileobject.c:274: undefined

> reference to `TELL64'

> The problem is that BSDI has an 'off_t' type that is larger than the 'long'

> type, and Python's configure makes the flawed assumption that this means

> BSDI supports large files (larger than 2Gb.) However, BSDI doesn't. This bug

> is even present with BSDI 4.1, and probably more platforms. You can fix this

> by editing './config.h' after running './configure', and commenting out the

> HAVE_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT line; changing this:

> #define HAVE_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT 1

> into something like this:

> /* #define HAVE_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT 1 */

> (You can just remove the line as well.) The downside of both these 'hacks'

> (excuse me, 'hotfixes'), is that you'll have to reedit the files again after

> running configure again (or something that runs configure, like

> 'config.status'.)

This one isthe saem problem that showed up for NetBSD1.4.2 and OpenBSD (I see

a pattern)

http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=112289&group_id=5470

It was fixed by adding a hack in fileobject.c to *define* TELL64.

http://sourceforge.net/patch/index.php?func=detailpatch&patch_id=101558&group_id=5470

For the quickfix, the same hack could be used for BSDI.

As you suggest Thomas, the proper fix is to patch configure.in such that it

does not report that these system support largefiles.

I don't have the time to do this right away, nor do I have one of these boxes

on which to test it. I can try to make a patch though. We don't you file a

bug and assign it to me.

Trent

--

Trent Mick