Pyton on MacOS X is a link away ...

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 8 21:12:42 EDT 2000

Thelonious Georgia writes:

> Hey all-
> Okay, my attempts to get Python 1.6 running on MacOS X have stymied at

> ranlib libpython1.6.a
> true
> cd Modules;  make OPT="-g -O2 " VERSION="1.6" \
>                 prefix="/usr/local" exec_prefix="/usr/local" \
>                 LIBRARY=../libpython1.6.a link
> cc   python.o \
>           ../libpython1.6.a      -o python
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> __PyImport_DynLoadFiletab
> __PyImport_GetDynLoadFunc
> make[1]: *** [link] Error 1
> make: *** [python] Error 2
> [toad_hall:~/Python-1.6] root#

> This is a tricky one ... I can't figure my way out of this. Any ideas as to
> why this is happening?

Well, that looks like it's based on the dynamnic loading somehow. Are
you trying to build a static version, or are you including dynamic
modules?

I've only worked with dynamic loading under Python 2.0b2 on OS X.
There, the link command needed

-framework System

added to it to work.  If that were your problem, I'd expect more
errors, though.

More info?

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu