2.0c1 zipfile problem

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 12 09:49:33 EDT 2000

The zipfile library in 2.0 came along at just the right time to
solve a client's problem.  However, my dumbass attempts to use
it are meeting with no success.

Can someone who knows this library tell me why the program below
creates an archive about which WinZip 7.0 says:

Cannot open this file: it does not appear to be a valid archive"

The zipfile library also gives me a BadZipFile exception if I try
to read the file back.

If it makes a difference (byte ordering?) I am running this on a
SPARCstation under Red Hat Linux 5.2.  IF I can get verification
that the code seems correct I will report a bug, but at present I
suspect programmer error.

Does this program work on other architectures, or what have I done wrong?

regards
 Steve
import zipfile
import os.path
import sys
#
# NOTE: requires binascii module from python 2
#
def createzip(name, ext):
    target = name+".zip"
    if os.path.exists(target):
        print target, "exists"
        return
    z = zipfile.ZipFile(target, mode="w")
    z.write(name+"."+ext)
    z.close
    print target, "created"

createzip(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2])

--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/