Python in RedHat 7

Bill Anderson bill at libc.org
Sat Oct 28 01:42:15 EDT 2000

In article <mailman.972504375.21203.python-list at python.org>, "Ken Kinder"
<kkinder at tridog.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, that doesn't really fix the problem. If you use the
> stable compiler on Red Hat 7, then what it compiles is binary
> incompatible with the rest of the system. You'd have to recompile
> *everything* If I were you, I'd just declare Red Hat 7 to be pre-alpha
> software and not use it. Red Hat releases are generally unstable until
> about .2 series. 7.2, should therefor be stable.

Are you talking about kgcc as the 'stable version' of the compiler?
That would be egcs-2.91.66. IME (as in , I have _done_ it), that version
has been generating compatible binaries just fine, fo rboth the RH7
systems I have, and the RH6.x systems.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion regarding teh quality of RH .0
rleeases, one I don't entirely agree/disagree with. But you should
refrain from making statements about various aspects of it if you don't
know from use. You can use kgcc or the gcc that redhat uses, and you
system works just fine. I know, as I have _done_ this. Hell, I'm writing
this on a system that has binaries compiled from either compiler.

Reading the RELEASE-NOTES reveals how to use the compiler of your choice.
No need for downloading new rpms, or building the compiler yourself
unless you _want_ to. kgcc is installed by default.