Why is "while" ticking me off???

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Thu Oct 5 16:46:48 EDT 2000

Huaiyu Zhu wrote:
> if a = dict1[k1]; a:
>     do something with a
> elif a = dict2[k2]; a<0:
>     do something else with a
> elif a = dict3[k3]; a=="asdsdaf":
>     do something different with a

Personally, if I wanted to tinker with Python's syntax, my first choice
would be to turn "elif" into "else if".  Perhaps there's some
parser-related reason this won't work, but I'm always bugged by "elif"
because I can never remember whether it's "elif", "elsif", or "elseif".
(BTW, if one _had_ to make "else if" into a single keyword wouldn't the
last make one make the most sense?  But I suppose that Guido thought it
was best to follow the poor precedent of C...)

python-already-has-more-syntax-than-it-needs-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com