CPython vs. Jython/JPython

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Tue Oct 31 00:47:11 EST 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Delaney, Timothy wrote:

> The BDFL has spoken :)
>
> The real question which was posed I guess is "why can't they be maintained
> by the same people?" To which the answer would have to be that the CPython
> people have a limited amount of time, the two projects require different
> areas of expertise, and that the source trees really cannot share
> *anything*.

Ummmm.....as my last sarcastic answer should have hinted, they are. Barry
and Guido have worked in the same company for quite a few years, and IIRC
Jim H, when he wrote JPython, worked at CNRI, which was then the Python
development center. Barry is a respected CPython developer (for example,
he's responsible for a lot of the i18n in Python 2.0). The two "teams",
as far as they can be called that, work so close together it hurts <wink>.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez