Compiling Python on Win32

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Fri Oct 13 21:25:32 EDT 2000

"Kevin F. Smith" <smithkf at OMIT_THIS.us.ibm.com> wrote in message
news:39E79EDC.3EDE7950 at OMIT_THIS.us.ibm.com...

> Then to add the module that I am trying to add, I used the same
> workspace (i.e., pcbuild.dsw), and went to the "python15 files"
section
> and added the module name (e.g., xmodule.c).  Then doing a build of
both

This is probably the wrong direction.  This will result in a new
builtin module, which you really dont need.  If you _do_ want to go
this way, you will need to edit PC\config.c

However, you should check out pc\example_nt - this is a sample for a
simple extension module.  This will create a .pyd (a .dll with a funny
extension!), and will not require changes to either the Python source
code, or the the project/workspace files.

This is almost certainly the direction you should take...

> On AIX, using ./configure and make, everything seems to work.  But
there
> must be something simple that I am missing on MS VC++ 5.0.

Using ./configure on Unix is equivilent to hand editing the project
file and config.c file on Windows.  People rarely do this on Windows,
as the process I described is much simpler.

The process I described is equivilent to creating the module as an
external .so on Unix.

Mark.