Running Python on SMP machine

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Oct 10 11:02:23 EDT 2000

In article <mailman.971180247.18440.python-list at python.org>,
William Park  <parkw at better.net> wrote:

>My program is not particularly I/O intensive -- just slurping single
>table at the beginning, and writing a smaller table at the end.  But,
>within my program, there are a lot of sections where calculations are
>inherently independent.  Eg.
>    c = a+b	<- section 1, independent of section 2
>    d = a-b	<- section 2, independent of section 1
>    e = c/d	<- using result of the two sections.

In that case, you have three options:

* Write separate Python programs that communicate with each other over
sockets, CORBA, or some other IPC mechanism

* Use or write a Python extension and make your program threaded (NumPy
may be of help if it releases the GIL)

* Forget about getting a performance boost out of SMP

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

WWJCD?