GLOBAL variables in python

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Tue Nov 7 07:39:52 EST 2000

On 07-Nov-00 Satish (python9999 at my-deja.com) asked:
 >  i have wriiten a small application in which i need to use the variable
 >  which is local to one of the functions in a class , but i am not able to
 >  access the variable.
 >
 >  class myclass:
 >      def entry():
 >              entry1=GtkEntry(10)
 >              entry2=GtkEntry(10)
 >
 >  a= myclass()
 >
 >  def  get():
 >      name=a.entry.entry1.get_text()
 >      return name
 >
 >  here i am getting a error like
 >      name=a.entry.entry1.get_text()
 >  attribute error entry1
 >
 >  can any one suggest solution for this problem..
 >  and i also have a doubt whether v have any GLOBAL variables in python??

On 07-Nov-00 Max Møller Rasmussen answered:
 >  You need to declare it global inside the method:
 >
 >  a= myclass()
 >  def  get():
 >      global a
 >      name=a.entry.entry1.get_text()
 >      return name

This answers the question, but the interpreter does not complain about
a, it complains about entry1. There is no attribute entry1 of the
method entry. I am not sure what Satish is trying to accomplish here,
partly becaus I do not know anything about Gtk, but I can see a number
of errors in the code. First, the method entry needs a reference to
the instance a, so something like this:

class myclass:
    def entry(self):
            entry1=GtkEntry(10)
            entry2=GtkEntry(10)

Second, the variables entry1, entry2, ..., will dissapear after the call
a.entry(). Perhaps the following is what Satish wants:

class myclass:
    def entry(self):
            self.entry1=GtkEntry(10)
            self.entry2=GtkEntry(10)

a= myclass()

def get():
    a.entry()
    name=a.entry1.get_text()
    return name

Then again, I might be completely wrong...

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343