Any reason that we don't have assignment expression in Python?

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 22:07:44 EST 2000

>>In Python, assignment is a statement and can't be an "expression" returning
>>a value. Any reason for that? Say, Pythonians try to keep everything simple
>>and compact, but wouldn't assignment expression make codes simpler?

One of Python's great graces is the ease with which it is learned. While additional
features often have a per-feature coolness value to them, contemplate ANSI-C++
or ANSI Common Lisp to see examples of where creeping featurism leads. There
is a reason that some programmers joke that an ANSI committee is the defacto
end of a computer programming language.

C//