P*rl in Latin, whither Python?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Nov 11 21:56:27 EST 2000

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Dylan (and LISP-based languages; Ruby, too, I think; I don't know
> about others) let you put all sort of funky characters in identifiers.
> I guess this is what Courageous was perhaps referring to...

Ah, I see, you're probably right.  For a language like Python (as
opposed to LISP where it is definitely appropriate to have more latitude
in the choice of symbols), I think traditional restrictions (alphabetic,
numeric, and underscores, but can't start with numeric) on identifiers
are quite appropriate.

Next thing you know someone will be asking for Python identifiers to be
case insensitive ...

/  \ Here day fights with night.
\__/ (the last words of Victor Hugo)
    Official Omega page / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/
 The official distribution page for the popular Roguelike, Omega.