P*rl in Latin, whither Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Nov 21 22:46:37 EST 2000

pricerbumanto at my-deja.com wrote:

>   "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > The word _pruv/end/a_ doesn't really work here, because the _/end/_
> > > affix indicates a compulsion, not simply future tense.  I would
> > > write, _Kio estis pruvota_.
> >
> > "Demonstrandum" also connotes a degree of 'compulsion', rather
> > than 'future', at least in the most common usage.  The common
>
> Actually, I'm inclined to favor "Tio, kio estis pruvinda", after reading
> the comments in the "Plena vortaro": (my translation) Although "ind" by

Esperanto "-ind" connotes "passive obligation", while "-end" connotes
"worthiness".

Given Alex's description of "demonstrandum", and Konrad's original
translation, "pruvenda" would appear to be the better choice.

Were it "pruvinda", QED would mean "that which was worth proving"
(implying perhaps that the original hypothesis actually had merit).
That Esperanto can be learned well without immersion may be worth
proving, but it seems QED itself does not carry that connotation.