Lost at C

Kenneth Loafman ken at lt.com
Tue Nov 14 16:15:32 EST 2000

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <Y%JO5.955$Uo2.21194 at newscontent-01.sprint.ca>, Bruce Dodson wrote:
> >"Daniel Klein" <DanielK at aracnet.com> wrote
> >
> >> Do you have to learn C to use Python?
> >
> >Definitely not.  It helps with a few advanced aspects, such as
> >moving performance-critical functionality out to a C extension
> >module.  For the great majority of Python develpment, it is
> >just not needed.
>
> While knowlege of C isn't needed, it is *occasionally* useful to
> be familiar with the standard C library routines.  Many of the
> CPython library routines are influenced by the underlying C
> library routines -- and they're available on most platforms
> with a thin Python wrapper.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it though.  It won't matter unless you
> get into doing low-level, platform-specific tricks.

I would worry about it.  I've met C++ programmers that were supposed to
be at the top of their field and these programmers used CString reverse,
trim, and reverse again truncate an ASCII string rather than the
standard strxxxx() functions.  Horribly inefficient.  If you don't know
C, at least study the Standard Library a bit so you know what's
available.

If you learn C++ without learning C, you're really missing out!