Library Improvements

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 19 15:45:28 EST 2000

briansweetapp at my-deja.com writes:

> What is the process for suggesting/adding improvements to the
> various python libraries?

This is done through Python Enhancement Proposals, PEPS, see

http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/

In particular, have a look at PEP 1 for the process being followed,
and PEP 42 for a collection of "small features".

> Right now I am interested in adding some code that I wrote to
> enhance the functionality of urllib. Specifically, I changed the
> library to accept lists of tuples, in addition to dictionaries, for
> CGI parameters. I think that this is important because a fair number
> of forms have duplicate names for form elements (usually for
> checkboxes) and a few are order sensitive.

The "old" route for adding such a feature was to post a patch to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/python. I'd recommend to still post
such a patch; make sure you not only include the patch to the actual
source, but also the patch to the documentation.

Since this seems to fall in the "small feature requests" area, your
patch might be approved and committed without further discussion (if it
also follows source style guide, etc). If you feel that your patch is
debatable, I'd recommend to prepare an entry into PEP42 or a new PEP,
which you should send to the PEP editor.

Regards,
Martin