python2.0 and redhat 7.0 (new issue)

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Fri Nov 17 03:24:23 EST 2000

>[ D-Man is missing the forkpty() function while compiling a program that
>  embeds Python 2.0 ]
>
>> Would the function glimmer wants be in the libutil file?
>
>Yes, it is. Just like you need -lcrypt to use the crypt() function, you need
>-lutil to use openpty/forkpty.

As goes my ongoing theme of not knowing what anyone's talking
about, but nevertheless helping them to help themselves :), I'll
point out that while the methods of combining find with grep
and nm which I recommended previously, while indeed great
last minute brute-force strategies, might be better off delayed
while the hapless user tries a simpler strategy:

% man openpty

The documentation should, if written correctly, include a
synopsis, one part of which would indicate which library to
link with.

Of course, this is presupposing that the openpty man page is
in the MANPATH. If not, you may end up having to do yet
another brute-force search, ala:

% find / -name "openpty*" -print

You'd then cd to the directory the man page was in and try
the manual approach:

% nroff -man openpty.3 | more

Of course, lastly, if there is no man page for openpty, hunt
down the author and give him or her a good spanking (preferably
a "her," much more fun that way).

C//