Python with XML opinion?

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Mon Nov 6 21:19:37 EST 2000

Harry George wrote:

> I've taught both perl and python (to beginners, experienced shell
> programmers, and C programmers), and there is no question: beginners
> should start with perl.

! I'm surprised to hear you say that!

> A sys admin might feel more comfortable in
> perl, up to about 100 lines.  But even dyed-in-the-wool perlers are
> moving to python for serious projects (multi-module, OOP, nested
> dynamic structures, etc.).  After three years of nothing but perl, I
> moved to python over a 2 week period.  A friend (who taught perl for
> over 5 years) did so over a weekend.

That's evidence that you can move to Python quickly from Perl but I'd
like to hear evidence that Perl is a useful step *on the way to Python*.
My impression is that Perl would only teach you "unstructured" habits as
in the old days when people would move from Basic to C.

 Paul Prescod