New Python development process (SourceForge considered Harmful?)

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Sun Nov 5 14:11:56 EST 2000

On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 17:37:49 GMT, "Tom" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the links.
>
>I guess the reason the sf ads bug me so much is that, other than the ads, I
>find SF works very poorly.
>I went to report a minor bug today, but after several pages that only showed
>me ads (a bug obviously), having to log in, and generally very slow
>response, I gave up.

Sourceforge has some major flaws. It's very slow, their page layout is
very poor, and their mailing lists a hopelessly broken by their link
to geocrawler. Worst of all is their hopeless so-called support - they
have a habit of sending an arrogant one line email without fixing or
even seriously looking at the bug, and then mark the bug as closed
even though they haven't fixed the problem.

Still, the concept is good, and it could be much better than it is so
far - lets work on making them better. We should let them know that
they are starting to get very negative feedback in the newsgroups.
Maybe let VALinux know that there is a problem that needs working on.
Maybe start a alt.support.sourceforget newgroup to have a forum for
discussions that bypasses their slow, cumbersome and not very useful
"support" mechanism.

Mike