Lost at C

Joal Heagney s713221 at student.gu.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 23:16:40 EST 2000

Daniel Klein wrote:

> I have done a bit of programming with Smalltalk and Java (but have never
> used C or C++) and for the most part you stay within the realm of the
> respective language. However, looking thru many of the posts in this
> newsgroup it appears that you need to be moderately familiar with C. So my
> question is:
>
> Do you have to learn C to use Python?
>
> Daniel Klein

Not really. You only need to learn C to build your own C extension modules
for Python, and with the number of good quality modules out there, you
probably won't need to do that for a long time. If you're only wanting to
build modules from other people's source, it's enough to learn (On Linux
systems) a little bit of make, gcc/c++ and where all your system and
development libraries are.
If you're interested in learning python, just grab a distro, a copy of the
tutorial at
www.python.org
and go for it. Oh, and keep flicking through the newsgroup. You'll be amazed
how you pick up little titbits just reading other people's replies.

Joal Heagney/AncientHart