Game programming in Python

vplatt at my-deja.com vplatt at my-deja.com
Fri Nov 3 13:46:39 EST 2000

In article <oEeM5.1210$fx4.30709 at news.infostrada.it>,
> Hi all,is there any example of game programming in Python with some
graphics??

PySol really is the only example of a graphical Python game of any real
substance that I have seen.  I've seen it work on Windows and Linux,
and it's pretty slick.

I have also been working on a preliminary framework for a game.  Tk+PIL
really seems to be the best option for me because I only have simple 2D
needs.  I would've liked to use Alice from Alice.org (even though it's
a 3D engine - it raises the level of abstraction so high, it wouldn't
have been a bother), it seems far superior to anything else out there,
but I have been unable to get it to work outside of its browser plugin
for standalone Python based games.

Part of the problem, is that the game's development is just a side
activity, and I don't really have time to go off and compile a ton of
libraries or to spend a lot of time reading C source to figure out
features that no one has documented yet.

Bottom line for me, if Tk+PIL won't perform well enough (still working
on making this determination, but so far it's pretty slow), then I'll
be forced to switch to Visual Basic or BlitzBasic.

If anyone is willing to show me the tao of SDL with Python, I would
love to have the help, but that so far is an inpenetrable cloud of half
complete bindings, documentation, etc.  Again, that goes back to how
much time I have to spend on figuring it all out, so there's probably a
sweet spot there, I just haven't found it yet.

Just my $0.02.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.