curses in Python 2.0?

Ulf Betlehem flu at iki.fi
Fri Nov 10 09:52:43 EST 2000

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> max at charmaine:~% /usr/local/bin/python `which cplay`
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 1173, in main
>     app.setup()
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 1028, in setup
>     self.win_root = RootWindow(None)
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 293, in __init__
>     self.win_progress = ProgressWindow(self)
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 193, in __init__
>     Window.__init__(self, parent)
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 105, in __init__
>     self.resize()
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 136, in resize
>     self.w = self.newwin()
>   File "/usr/local/bin/cplay", line 197, in newwin
>     return curses.newwin(1, self.parent.cols, self.parent.rows-2, 0)
> error: curses function returned NULL

        Based on the line numbers, I suspect that your version of
        cplay is rather old. Newer versions have been tested with
        Python 2.0 and seem to work just fine:

        http://www.tf.hut.fi/~flu/cplay/

        Most probably, what happens is that cplay thinks you are using
        pyncurses and tries to compensate for differences in religious
        beliefs. That is, pyncurses thinks getmaxyx() should actually
        return maximum coordinates instead of width and height. :>

--
 flu