Beta release of ExpectPy 1.9

arcege at shore.net arcege at shore.net
Sun Nov 5 14:44:33 EST 2000

After more than a year, I have created a beta version of the next
release of ExpectPy 1.9.  I have had some problems with Expect 5.31
that have causes some serious delays, but I now have the module stable
enough.

Package name: ExpectPy
Release number: 1.9b1
Web documentation: http://ExpectPy.sourceforge.net/1.9b1/
Project page: http://ExpectPy.sourceforge.net/projects/ExpectPy/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12571

It should compile on just about any UNIX/POSIX platform that is
supported by both Python and Expect (WinXX is not supported by Expect
itself, tho there are ports), but I'm not able to test everywhere on
everything.

Please submit bugs to the project page at SourceForge.  I've also
created mailing lists and help forums there.  I hope people are
interested in helping with the development of ExpectPy.

Changes since 1.8.2:
* Support for Python 2.0 (SF-bug#121064)
* Support for Expect 5.31 and Expect 5.32 (only using Expect build
  directory, not installed files); introduce a new library to overrides
  some files in the Expect library to allow use of PCRE.
* Support for new versions of Tcl (8.1, 8.2)
* Move development to SourceForge.net; this includes relocating CVS
  root there and changes to documentation.
* Add interrupt sequence to the interact() function/method.
* Make interact() thread safe.
* Fixes to the test routines; previously, most were using who(1) for
  tests which is unreliable.
* Builds of objects for the shared library are now distinct from those
  built as non-shared.
* Add support for cfgetispeed/cfgetospeed/cfsetispeed/cfsetospeed().
* Change stty functionality to an attribute of a new object; move this
  functionality to a separate file.
* Allow file descriptors to be given to spawnfile.
* A new look to the documentation (not huge changes, but a little better
  flow and new background and graphics).

There are new two bugs that I hope to fix soon:
* Building ExpectPy requires build directories for Expect 5.31 or 5.32
  instead of using installation locations.
* The new regular expression module (sre) in Python 2.0 is not
  supported; the 1.5.x module (pre) is used instead.

I hope that people can make use of the module.

  -Arcege