MoinMoin vs ZWiki

Michel Pelletier michel at digicool.com
Mon Nov 20 18:53:35 EST 2000

Cees de Groot wrote:

>  <wade at lightlink.com> said:
> >Has anybody tried both MoinMoin and Zwiki? I'm trying to get a wikiwiki
> >going with a minimum of administrative overhead. Don't need the other
> >Zope features right now, though if Zwiki is roughly comparable for
> >reliability & ease of use, I'd probably go that way & then have the
> >rest of Zope available.

This is a major benfit if you want to add a weblog, web/database
application, xml-rpc, ftp, etc to your site ala Zope.  Then again, there
are non-zope applications that do this also.

> I'd go with MoinMoin. It's easy to install, and as far as I can see it has way
> more features than ZWiki.

I've been sniffing around the MoinMoin wiki and I can't see "way" more
features.  There's the printable page feature, that's nice:

http://www.encrypted.net/~jh/moinmoin/moin.cgi/FrontPage?action=print

This would be easy enough to do in Zope in a few minutes (perhaps I'll
send Simon a patch).  The indexes are nice too:

http://www.encrypted.net/~jh/moinmoin/moin.cgi/WordIndex

ZWiki doesn't have these features.  ZWiki has the parenting and
heirarchical mapping construction features I don't think MoinMoin has (I
could be wrong):

http://zwiki.org/zwiki/Lnet/backlinks

http://zwiki.org/FrontPage/map#FrontPage

Both MoinMoin and ZWiki have revision history and diffs:

http://www.encrypted.net/~jh/moinmoin/moin.cgi/FrontPage?action=info

http://zwiki.org/zwiki/FrontPage/manage_change_history_page

What other features does MoinMoin have the ZWiki doesn't and vice versa?

-Michel