Wits end

Brendhan Horne brendhanhorne at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 12 00:56:25 EST 2000

I am near the end of my rope here. First let me thank everyone you have been
very helpful and patient, but I want to scream . Things are going from bad
to worse and I want to throw something. I cannot access the hello.py
program. It is basically the print " Hello World!" command that is the first
step program. I realize that my ignorance is what is killing me but I figure
I will give it one more shot with a better idea of what I expect. And I say
this because my preformed point of view says this is possible.
What I want :
1. From a Dos command prompt of C:\ I want to be able to type in hello.py
and see "Hello World!"
2. From a python command prompt >>> I want to be able to do the same thing
as described in #1. I find unbelievable that the two can't or won't function
the same way.
3. I want to be able to click on a .py based  program and expect it to open
and run. If I click on  hello.py the Dos window flashes for a second and is
gone.
What I have done:
1. Created a folder marked " Monty" to store my .py based programs
2. Created a batch file to access that folder.
echo off
d:
cd\Monty
path"C:\Python20;%path%
echo pythonized
3. Created a path in autoexec.bat
path"C:\Python20;%path%
4. Read countless outdated hard for this idiot to understand tutorials for
the non programmer to the genius level. Somebody get some water these are a
little dry.
What is happening:
1. From a C:\ hello.py I get bad command or file name. Now I have the
hello.py file in my python20 folder on C: and I also have it my Monty folder
in my D:
2. From a C:\python hello.py I get C:\python20\python.exe: can't open file
'hello.py'

I realize that this is just some simple idiot easy thing I am overlooking
but this is frustrating that I can't even get the most basic program to
work. I tried finding the Programming Python in Win32 but I didn't locate it
and after all this frustration. I couldn't muster myself to go through all
the manuals that come up when I put that in the search box.. Maybe it is
just me and I am coming at this expecting that this is how a language should
work and it doesn't. I am using Win98se.

--
Thanks,
Brendhan