Excel file format

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sat Nov 4 13:24:00 EST 2000

I just checked on google ["excel file format"] and found this

http://www.cubic.org/source/archive/fileform/misc/excel.txt
MICROSOFT EXCEL BINARY FILE FORMAT
Mark O'Brien
Microsoft Corporation
18-Feb-1988

Looks like a very useful document for you, but raises an obvious question:
Which version of Excel are your aiming at?

'BIFF' seems to be the magic keyword
I also found the following by searching ["excel BIFF"]

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~jmcnamara/perl/PerlExcelFaq.html
which contains the following useful timesaving MDSN info:
<quote>
Excel data is stored in the ``Binary Interchange File Format'' (BIFF) file
format. Details of this format are given in the Excel SDK, the ``Excel
Developer's Kit'' from Microsoft Press. It is also included in the MSDN CD
library but is no longer available on the MSDN website. Issues relating to
the Excel SDK are discussed, occasionally, at
<quote>

google indicates some good links in german and japanese also .. :-)

good luck
- Jason

Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']

<vonWedel at lfpt.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message

Hello,

I want to transform data into Excel files using Python, not just data but
also
workbooks, etc.. Is there any module facilitating this?

On a Windows-machine I would simply use Excel's COM
interface to do this, but I'm on unix.

Is the Excel file format documented somewhere?

Lars