Ruby and Python

June Kim junaftnoon at nospamplzyahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 11:08:53 EST 2000

"Lyle Johnson" <ljohnson at resgen.com> wrote in message
news:t180er4l4n0q14 at corp.supernews.com...
> > Haven't used Ruby, but IIRC, it's only available for Windoze.  From that
> > standpoint alone, no way will Ruby overtake Python.
>
> Bonk! Wrong answer. To quote the FAQ, it is developed under Linux but runs
> under Unix, DOS, Windows, MacOS, BeOS, Amiga, Acorn Risc OS (???) and
OS/2.

> I've just started looking at Ruby, mainly because my curiosity got the
> better of me. So far I'm underwhelmed. I can see how it might appeal to
Perl
> users but not Python users. I'll try to present my finding to the
newsgroup
> after I've had more time to give it a fair shake.

One interesting thing is that the Ruby miner or creator himself was an early
dawn-breaker in Python and recognized some shortcomings -- in his way -- and
tried to excel Python and other half-blooded OOPLs. In a recent interview
with the authors of Programming Ruby, on Amazon site, they said Ruby's speed
is somewhere between Python and Perl.